Monday, January 7, 2008
WIC
If any of you out there have ever had to "deal" with WIC then we are in the same boat!Let me know if any of you have ever went there and had them tell you something positive. I started going when I was about 4 months pregnant. The "nutritionist" always had something to tell me about the weight I was gaining and of course Breastfeeding. I have always planned to breastfeed but after I had Riley it took 10 days for my milk to come in!!! And it wasn't even that much, granted I got some , my mom and grandma didn't receive any so I feel lucky! So 4 days after coming home from the hospital I called one of their "lactation consultants" she had me try everything I had already done and then I asked well if my milk doesn't come in what formula is best and she said, "well, actually breastfeeding is best" DUH! So needless to say I never contacted her again I went through the lactation consultant at the hospital who actually was a lactation consultant and a nurse, not someone who had a good milk supply and didn't have any problems breastfeeding. She told me about some natural vitamins that work and they actually helped my milk come in. I just never got enough so I have always had to supplement. Well two weeks after I gave birth I had to go to WIC for some class on of course; Breastfeeding. I was in the waiting room and the "nutritionist'' in front of everyone in the waiting room looks over at me and says, "do you need anything changed on your checks?", well I got up and went over quietly to her because I was already feeling like a bad mother because I couldn't exclusively breastfeed and tried to whisper to her that I needed some formula as well and she says really loud, " well you know you are going to lose your bonus checks".. Not the tuna and carrots!!!!! No thanks I would rather feed my child. Then she proceeded to tell me everything that the"WIC lactation consultant" told me before about getting my milk in in front of everyone in the waiting room! Hello doesn't this violate HIPPA. Now every time I go in there and ask for formula I get the whole rundown about how breastfeeding is best! My doctor calls them nipple Nazi's,it makes me laugh he also told me my son could still go to Harvard even if he was formula fed. I love my doctor. I don't think they realize that there are people in this world who actually want to breastfeed that can't. The things I put up with for government cheese!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(61)
-
▼
January
(18)
- President Hinckley...we will miss you.
- Riley's baby blessing
- Riley and Me
- SHINDEN DE GOZIAMASU
- Finding ways to enjoy Rexburg in the winter
- Again don't call child protective services...
- My guys
- Senioritis
- The Take Over
- The Ohio State College of Denistry-update
- THE OHIO STATE
- Blogging Anonomyous
- WIC
- PLEASE RESPOND!
- Riley had his 2 month checkup and the tallies a...
- This is for the Grandparents...
- Please don't call Child Protective Services...
- Some of us aren't so fortunate....
-
▼
January
(18)
5 comments:
Sheena that is HORRIBLE!! Good freaking grief it's not like you didn't TRY to breastfeed and even if you CHOSE not to breastfeed that is YOUR CHOICE! I mean, they have no right to pressure anyone or make people feel bad for what they've chosen to do. And when it's like, hello if I don't formula feed my kid won't eat! that's just the worst! I'm so sorry. That just makes me so mad. I want to run down there and give them a piece of my mind. Too bad Shem has the car ;) haha Man. well, I love ya I hope you don't get anymore problems from the Nipple Nazis :)
WIC people are always negative! I don't know how many time I got crap about feeding Trev formula (same thing I didn't make enough for him and he never latched on well)and about him and I not weighing enough. (Kylee weighs about half what he did at her age and her Dr's say she's just fine, just tiny! FINALLY!!!)Good grief, just becuase we are small don't mean we are going to die! I remember this really FAT lady sitting across from me telling me that my morbidity rate was high becuase I was underweight and that I needed to feed my baby more (but not formula!!!)! I just kept thinking, "Lady, if anyone has a weight probem in here it's YOU!). Dumb, like you said, "The things we do for government cheese" But, you can't beat the savings on formula! Anyway, we missed not seeing you guys at Christmas, Riley looks adorable! Grandpa even talks about how he has a new great grandson with his name! CUTE!
At least you got someone who spoke english! The last few times I went (so OK like 15 months ago) they had to get an english speaker or they started talking in spanish and I just looked at them like "what do you think you are doing?" and one time I called for an appointment and they answered in spanish and hung up on me when I kept asking if it was WIC. I don't miss that at all. Good luck on your next visits. They have no idea what they are talking about most of the time so I always ignored their advice. Such as feeding a baby meat at 6 months.
Oh I just had to laugh cause its like brain-washing everytime you go there...no if and or buts about it breast feeding is the ONLY way there. Im worried too cause my mom was never able to produce and I really do wanna breast feed...We'll see, I may be in the same boat as you and we can to egg WIC with their eggs k?
Yes, the joys of getting assitance. I always fake I'm listening and agree to anythign they say to help the process go faster. I've noticed that after I had more than one child they kind of backed off, becasue obviously I'd done it befeor and I didn't need anymore "advice." But you gotta love the milk & cheese!
Post a Comment